What to Expect with Bone Augmentation
Length of Procedure
Bone augmentation procedures typically take less than 30 minutes. You can expect to be in our office 1.5 to 2 hours which accounts for consultation, procedure and in-office recovery time.
Before Your Appointment
Do not eat or drink anything for at least 8 hours before your IV sedated procedure. This means no food, water, mints or gum.
Please make arrangements for someone to stay with you at the office, through your procedure and drive you home after the procedure.
If you normally wear contacts, we ask you wear your glasses the day of the procedure, as well as a short sleeve shirt.
Patient paperwork can be filled out here. If you have filled out the paperwork online, prior to your appointment, please arrive 5 to 10 minutes early. If you would like to fill out your paperwork at the office, the day of your procedure, arrive 20 minutes prior.
At the Office
Patients 18 years or younger will need a guardian present to sign a consent form.
If your dentist or physician has taken x-rays, you may forward them or bring them to our office. If additional films are necessary, they can be taken at our office.
Before the procedure, a dental assistant will go over your medical history. Your doctor will also visit you to answer any questions or concerns you may have. If you have concerns about medications, please call prior to your procedure so we can contact your physician.
Tips For A Speedy Recovery
After Your Procedure
After your procedure, you may notice some of the bone particulates working their way out of the socket. This may feel “gritty” in the mouth. This is completely normal and no cause for concern. In some cases, a membrane placed over the socket will come loose after a couple of weeks; this is also no cause for concern. We will remove the membrane as needed at your follow up appointment. As the bone augmentation site heals, you will come in for follow-up appointments with your oral surgeon every few weeks to ensure the bone is healing properly. Once completely healed, you will be scheduled for your dental implant to be placed.
- After your procedure, a nurse will take you to one of our state-of-the-art recovery rooms. Our rooms are equipped with high-tech monitoring to ensure your safety.
- We will inform your driver when you are in recovery and show them to your room to go over recovery instructions.
- Your nurse will stay to answer any other questions you may have before leaving our office and will send printed recovery instructions home with you for your convenience.
- When you get home, we recommend a lot of rest, icing and to begin taking your pain medication before existing numbness wears off.
- We will send you home with a recovery kit that includes extra gauze and gloves for bleeding.
- Slight to severe tingling of the lip, chin and tongue is normal and will be temporary.
- Take off work/school the day of your procedure, as well as the following day. You may want to take off more days depending on how you feel.
- After your procedure, enjoy a cup of gourmet ice cream on us!
We’re Here To Help
Whether you have questions about a bone augmentation or any other procedure, we’re here to help.
Give us a call at Lakeville Office Phone Number 952-683-9884 where our specialists are happy to help you with any of your oral surgery needs.