What is IV Sedation?
IV Sedation is a safe and comfortable method of medication that our doctors highly recommend to ensure patients remain as calm, relaxed and pain-free as possible during their procedure. Because IV sedated patients do not remember anything and time passes in what feels like an instant, it has become the patient’s most popular choice for oral surgery in our office.
Not all oral surgery practices have registered nurses (RNs) on staff, but at Advanced Oral Surgery, we elect to staff RNs to ensure patients remain in the best hands at all times. Our registered nurses are here to assist before, during and after your procedure. While in recovery, nurses will thoroughly review recovery instructions with the patient and their caretaker. Patient’s will be sent home with a recovery box full of necessities for a speedy recovery, including gauze, gloves, a syringe, printed recovery instructions, a medication schedule, their doctor’s personal cell phone number, and ice cream. If any questions arise outside of office hours, patients are highly encouraged to contact their doctor.
For the comfort of the patient, our doctors recommend IV sedation.
Call us with any questions or to make an appointment.952-683-9884
Reasons for IV Sedation
- Helps to calm anxiety, nerves and ease fears patients may be experiencing
- Doctors recommend as it is the most comfortable way for patients to undergo a procedure
- Patients are asleep, but still breathing on their own
- Patients will not remember the procedure, including tastes, smells, and sounds
- Patients remain able to respond to commands;
- Medication wears off quickly after the procedure for quick recovery
- Minimal discomfort is achieved
IV Sedation Preparation Checklist
- Do not eat or drink anything for at least 8 hours before your IV sedated procedure. This means no food, water, mints, or gum.
- Make arrangements for someone to stay with you at the office, through your procedure, and drive you home after. They will not be able to leave during your procedure.
- If you normally wear contacts, we ask you wear your glasses the day of the procedure.
- Please arrive wearing a short-sleeve shirt.
- Patient paperwork can be filled out online. Please fill out paperwork before you arrive in our office to accelerate your visit. If you have filled out the patient registration paperwork beforehand, please arrive 5 to 10 minutes early. If you would like to fill out your paperwork at the office, the day of your procedure, arrive no less than 20 minutes early.
At the Office
- Patients 18 years or younger will need a guardian present to sign a consent form.
- Please bring all dental and medical insurance cards with you to the office.
- If your dentist or physician has taken x-rays, you may forward them or bring them to our office. If additional films are necessary, they can be taken at our office.
- Before your procedure, a dental assistant will go over your medical history. Your doctor will also visit you to answer any questions and go over concerns you may have. If you have concerns about medications, please call prior to your procedure so we can contact your physician: Lakeville Office Phone Number 952-683-9884.